In the spirit of full disclosure, I've moved into my new apartment (student accomodation), and am getting strong feelings that this is what "vacation" housing at hopkins would be like. Not in a bad way, it's just very international. As in, I feel like a foreigner. Again, not necessarily a bad thing, I've met quite a few people who are all very nice and cool to hang out with so far, it's just that my english must be deteriorating at a pace reminiscent of Dr. Oken from Independene Day after his mind was taken over by aliens. But it's all good, because I must sound like Thoreau to everyone here. As I said before, most people are cool, but because it is in my nature to nitpick, there are a few who remind me of the cliquey asian groups in the BME department, as in "we can't hear or see white people" (when I knocked on a few doors around my room to introduce myself, one young lad, Ichi, began by saying that there were a couple of german kids who used to live here - this little piece of data was not in the least germane, until I realized he was hinting that I should try finding people who look more like myself. He has since turned out to be ok, I think it's because I signed off on the fact that it was ok for him to make all the noise he wanted with his girlfriend). In fact, I'm currently sitting in the common area (free internet) in close proximity to two asian girls who couldn't be more apathetic to my presence; belive me, I'm as surprised as you are. Chava has the idea that we should corrupt all the hardworking asian students here, and bring them out drinking as often as possible - I agree. Last night featured some of the least communication over a game of pool imaginable, but it was certainly an enjoyable time. Speaking of Chava, he convinced me to buy a loofah, because its use is directly correlated with healthy skin (somewhere Craig is nodding in approval). I am now an exfoliating machine. The problem is my ability to follow the directions on the loofah wrapping (or loo-rah for short). "Soak" - check. "Lather" - check. "Gently..." - not so much. I don't have the physical dexterity to avoid tearing away 2 layers of epidermis every time I shower - but it's alright, simply rinse and repeat to reveal healthy, younger looking skin.
My new abode is ultra clean, and seems to be well run - it's like the bizarro version of my old place under the tyrannical lilian the landlady (or should I say, Lilian the leprous louse). I'll put up pictures soon, I promise; internet is free but very slow, so I'll need to retrieve my power cable. Until then...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment