Thursday, December 7, 2006

Welcome

Welcome to my first ever blog post. That's right, MY blog; something I pretty much decided against, but then changed my mind when i thought about emailing you the observations to follow. Here's why - No one wants to be forced emails to read on a weekly, even bi-weekly basis, let alone every couple of days. We all know that person that goes away or abroad and thinks we want to hear what she went through on the daily. "What about my life?" I ask while reading these emails - they never seem to convey any interest in the reader. Which is fine. Because we (and by we I mean anyone who is abroad and wanting to keep others updated...ok fine, by we I mean me [or I], your correspondent only concerned with his own happenings for now, -- we -- don't care what's going on with you right now. Let's be honest, I'm writing this so you will say to yourself, "gee, he's witty and bright" and perhaps tell your friends you know someone as capable on so many levels as myself. Or you'll wonder if I'm available - I'm not, right now I'm happily taken - so, you'll then wonder if I'm available to do parties or barmitzvah's, perhaps as a dancer, or wallflower. Clearly I'm not, I'm in Australia; how quickly we forget. That and I'm writing this to make you laugh (ok, it's actually to make you laugh, and then tell me you laughed, so I can pat myself on the back for being a sarcastically funny person). And finally, I'm writing this so that I can one day go back and see all the things I was thinking while in a different country, or what little nuances I picked up, or to remind myself how clever I thought I could be (or really am). You know what's missing from all of these reasons for writing this blog? You. If I'm curious about how things are going for you, you'll get an email, separatlely (well, separate from the ones i'll probably send out to brag about my blog updates). Otherwise, just assume I don't care.

This way, I can stay current updating anyone that chooses to read my recent literature often (we'll refer to this group as my closest compatriots), or, I can drop minute words of wisdom to my other minions who elect to neglect most of my writing and only glance haphazardly at this site every now and again - I shall deem this group the bottom feeders, or to borrow from Jon Hodgman of the daily show (and "I'm a PC" commercial famedom), more accurately, "Morlocks."

So, to get on to the early aussie stuff - I've been robbed. yep, 150 dollars (Australian - which is equal to somewhere between a Ticonderoga No. 2 pencil and a Fiat). That sucked. It was taken from my wallet, from inside a locker at the gym. Yes, my new gym. Where people (men) don't seem to mind wearing short shorts. This is an even more glaring difference in the Queen's Kingdom than even the cars on the wrong side of the street. Believe me. This shit would never fly in America, at least not in any gym in which I would actively purchase membership. And back home, there's an unwritten rule that only the ripped, truly jacked bamfs can wear cut off shirts, wife beaters, (basketball playing aside) - let's just assume this should be a rule, because we've all seen the people who do this who really don't deserve to. Well it happens here. a lot. and yes, by (you guessed it) - skinny asian kids (and relatively bigger guys in their short shorts). OK, I'm signing off (temporarily, only to write a new entry under the title "Australian Observations") And by the way, if you're cool enough to get this far, I actually do care what's happening with all of you back home, feel free to email me or call. and if you don't get an email from me (often), it's not cause i don't care, just because i'm actually pretty busy with science stuff, but I do hope all is well stateside for all of you. ok both of you.
one

No comments: