Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Lab Safety, Santa, and FREAKS!

My project to genetically engineer a mouse officially began today, as I began growing E. Coli with my gene in question. The E. Coli, if anyone is curious, was cultured from a spinach field in California, then passed to Australia via the Jack in the Box customs department. Anyway, day 1 of real lab work, and as is my habit, chose to forego a lab coat (it's hot as balls, and always too long). Naturally, the safety representative came over to point out the coloquial, "Lab coat, mate." Of course he did. After pulling a T.O. and spitting in his face, I stomped on my lab coat and rudely pointed out that the world's greatest scientist, Dr. James Naismith, the inventor of the game of basketball, never wore no damn labcoat. Actually I immediately put it on, apologized, and asked if there were an extra layer of protection, or gay apparel, I could don.

Our institute had it's Christmas party today, and, like any other Australian gathering, beer flowed like Persian blood in ancient battles against Sparta. It was at a country club/garden setting, w/ beer, wine, and gourmet bbq (mmm, chorizo). There was Santa for the kids, no kangaroos though. No milk and cookies, though, just Premium Draught and tea-biscuits.

On another note in relation to the giving season, Save the Children is quite prevalent here. They have girls (young women) come up to you and try to talk you into committing towards a daily contribution of $1 Australian. 1$ American might be able to save some children, but an australian dollar per day might get them a haircut every year at Tenpachi. Anyway, these people are everywhere, similar to the Salvation Army, except carrying a clipboard and exhibiting cleavage, not that I've noticed. I've started explaining that I already contribute to an American children's charity...Furhawn's "NUKs" in baltimore (Never Underistimate Kids - how they ever got "NUKleus approved I'll never know). Granted I don't actually donate, nor is it anything that requests contributions; but if you want to get technical, I've already been at least partially responsible for donating 3 bikes, a cellphone, and 6 dollars (American) to NUKs in balitmore. Not to mention an indictment. Merry Christmas.

Finally, since 'tis the season for giving, I was around the central district today, browsing ("haven't you ever heard of a browser?"). You know, looking for that perfect something for that special someone - A pair of running shoes for me. Preferably low-top D-Wades. And here's the weird thing, in both shoe places I went in, they didn't have converse Wade's. OK, that's not the oddity, but as I was undressing the shoe boxes with my eyes, scanning the great racks of shoes, no one came over to ask me if there was anything in particular I wanted, or if they could help me with anything. It was great. All I wanted to do was look around, and they let me. They weren't in my pocket reaching for my wallet while prying at my feet with a shoe-horn like in American places. Had I asked for help, I have no doubt they would have gladly assisted me, I mean, someone looked right at me and said hi, but they didn't pressure me into trying on the new Uggz cross trainers or something. Another example of the laid back attitude so prevalent in Australia, and I like it.

No comments: