So I finally inked a deal that would net me one rooming accomodation (picture to come later) in an international student house. Ideal? Probably not, but it'll work. Besides, my current lease only goes til the end of the semester, in February (crazy, huh?), and I can choose to renew if I'd like, otherwise I could look for someplace cooler to live. The place has a few Americans and an english dude and I guess a German kid, so I imagine those of us from the master-nation will band together to exclude the Europeans if they get too rowdy (I better not hear any Wayne Rooney chants). When I took over the lease, I had to go see Lillian, the landlady. Eli, the young Aussie lad from whom I am acquiring the room, said she doesn't seem very honest; I had a pretty vivid image of her on my way over there, and, needless to say, after meeting her, I'm pretty sure she doesn't cast a shadow. Maybe the fact that I could see my breath upon crossing the threshold to her lawyerly lair should have tipped me off. Anyway, I can always opt out after a couple of months. Who knows.
In other news, my father says he enjoys reading my blog, because it is like I am a little kid experiencing things for the first time. Fie I say to that, fie. In reality, I am simply documenting the reactionary awe of Australia in response to experiencing me for the first time.
In terms of new things I've noticed, here's one: no napkins. You can't get a good slab of napkins anywhere. If you get any at all, it's one, otherwise you can't seem to find a dispenser around. This leads to two potential results (which oddly enough I haven't seen): 1) The country should be overrun by trees. Everyone knows we need the napkin industry to keep the deciduous tree population in check. 2) This should be a nation of grease-stained shirts and crumby finger marks on everyone's pants, neither of which appear to be very prevalent.
Since I came into the student union to use a computer to check on the football scores (my other option being watching the two fox contests of carolina/NYG and SF/GB beginning at 5:00 this morning), they informed me there is a charge of $1 Australian to use the computer (this, in American dollars, could go about approximately as far as relacing your Chuck Taylor All Stars with shoddy twine). So I suppose it's worthwhile for me to use up my whole half hour. I know what you're thinking, and no, I won't honor that thought (that famous Aussie Mel Gibson might be right about Jews taking over everything and raking in money for even the slightest service) with a response. I just won't.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Are you purposefully leaving us to look up the exchange rate? Because I won't man, I won't. I'll just wait until you use a simile where I understand whatever comes after "like" or "as".
OK! I've been forced to sign up for yet another bloody computer site, with yet another bloody password-protected log-in, in order to defend my 'country of birth' from your slander........actually, you've been fairly complimentary so far, so.....keep up the good work. Cheers!
PS: I did warn you about the ice shortage in Australia. Or more correctly the ice glut in the USA. And I still contend that terrorists could bring the USA to its knees by cutting off its supply of ice. BTW, are you suffering from the advanced stages of cinnamon withdrawal yet??
PPS: Russ, i think the current exchange rate is about US79c to 1 AUD.
Post a Comment