Monday, April 9, 2007

I recommend 300

So in an upset/disappointment, Joaquin Manning snatched the green jacket today at the masters, quite an upset if you ask me. I'm telling you, Tiger needs to put his kid up for adoption, be done with child-bearing women, and focus on golf nonstop. It's distractions like house construction and pram patterns that will throw a dominant player off his game, though I'm confident that if anyone can overcome such defficiencies, it's Eldrick (if you consider Swedish supermodel brides and florida real estate defficiencies).
In other news, I was able to see 300 the other day. It's sweet. Not epic, but thoroughly entertaining, which is all I ask from my battle films - entertainment and gore....and masculine six-packs, ummm, moving on --> Actually I'm probably seeing it again this week with Neil and company, and I'm legitimately looking forward to seeing it again, I left the first time with the urge to spear someone on my walk home. Seeing it again will probably cause me to make my own shield and cape upon returning home.
ASIDE: My iTunes is on random, and I've been meaning to mention this (especially when I discussed iPod walking): 50 Cent and his compadres G-unit are terrible rappers. Sufficiently awful to deserve lyrical condemnation by black rap fans, even, so it's not just a middle class, white, suburban complaint. They (and by they I mean G-unit, not black listeners) are unoriginal and predictable, with the type of rhyme schemes that wouldn't live up to the standards I set on my MC Hammer Rap Mic I received for christmas when I was 7. In fact, the song currently on is by Iconz, and is entitled "Get Fucked Up," and is actually a more impressive composure than anything Mr. Cent has produced.
Speaking of religious holidays, Australia has zero separation of church and state: we just got friday through tuesday off for "easter holiday." I smell a conflict of interest here. I mean, I [almost] understand having "good friday" off if the government is highly pious (though I disagree with it unless September 27th is also made a national holiday), but easter monday and tuesday? Do they believe in evolution here? I'm guessing that the answer is "negatron." I think I read in a land of the plunging necklinian history book that god created the marsupials on the 6th day, which actually is the second day in the southern hemisphere, thus resting on the first. Since he gave himself a day off to begin creation (day 7 = day 1 in the sky with the southern cross), he fell into a habit of lethargy, and decided to grant the natives 5 days off in commemoration of his son with chocolate and colorful [platypus] eggs. Absurd. Viva la Scopes!
Finally, it has come to my attention that a girl here to whom I disclosed the secret location of this blog believes it is informally written. Now I know you're thinking, "What authority does she have to appraise the grammatical merit of prose written by someone who won his high school's english honor award?" The answer is that she is a masters student in english; if I had to guess, it would be the queen's english, as her country is less removed from dumping tea into the Singapore River and revolting against the crown than we Americans. The real irony is that as she is ascertaining the formality of this narrative, which happens to be blatantly aware of its narrator, and also of its reader, she cannot help but ponder whether or not the mere mention of her perusal of said narrative increases its informality. How's that for post-modernism, Ms. Chong?

No comments: