Honey, I'm home. So now I have a computer, it has been quite a struggle maintaining my sanity until this point - I've been reading books, and I think we all know I don't read books. And as for keeping up my blog, here's the thing: remember when I said it was like writing an essay, which I don't mind doing. But there're many things I'd like to write about, record keeping-wise and as a historical reference to my dry humor. As things pile up, I grow under the distinct impression that it will take more time to write, and thus I put off writing when I think I don't want to spend the time to type, or don't have enough time to put down all the things I'd like to recount. You can clearly see where this is going. The more I put it off (since I don't want to shortchange either you or my own recollections of this trip, well, mostly concerned with myself of course), the more things happen that I'd like to place in this discourse --> would take longer to type, and so I put it off even more. It's a vicious cycle. Not as vicious, mind you, as Zeno's oh-so-aptly named Vicious Infinite Regress, but pretty vicious.
So I'd like to start with the most recent event of which I took note: I bought sliced cheese in the safeway, COON brand. In fact, "Australians don't say cheese, they say COON -- and Australia has been enjoying COON for over 70 years." I felt nearly as awkward eating my melted coon on chicken as Chevy Chase v. Richard Pryor in the job interview sketch from SNL 30 years ago.
And also, it should be brutally obvious by now that I was not burned to death in the hallway fire that engulfed (read: smoke tripped an alarm) my building. It was eerie, though, leaving that night after seeing the fire trucks outside and the code red alert blaring through the building (which of course did not scurr me). Opening the lab door to the main corridor proved a struggle, the building was pressurized and the stairwell was like a windtunnel. Also, all the lights were out (this was about 11 pm) except for the backup generated emergency markers (green exit signs).
Surprisingly enough it wasn't my most exciting fire of the week. A few nights earlier, I was in bed reading and smelled smoke. I threw on clothes and made like Toucan Sam to the origin of the smoke... it's not an exciting ending actually, there was just a burned down house with firemen spraying their hoes. More to come later, I need to refill my computer with relevent software. Peace
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment